[Mristudio-users] Is DTIStudio based on DICOM patient coordinate system or image coordinate system?

chichesterchiche seigeweb at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 26 01:32:21 EDT 2010

Dear Mori-san,

Thank you so much for your detailed comments. It really helps.

Usually, I use DICOM patient coordiante and image coordinate spaces. Now, I need to process many oblique image volumes, such as coronal or saggital, or any oblique image volumes by DtiStudio.

I confirmed with TOSHIBA MRI vendor. They said the gradient vector acquired by my current TOSHIBA MRI scanner is based on patient coordinate. By your reply, it is very clear that I need to transform the gradient vector from patient to image coordinates by the image orientation (DICOM TAG: 0020,0037), and then input them to DtiStudio. Let us suppose this transform matrix is MT.

And I think that during tensor calcuation, this transform MT will affect eigen vector and its derived color map and fiber tracking results, however, this transform MT will not affect eigen value. So, there are two methods to apply this transform MT.

1> One is to apply MT to gradient vector and then input this new gradient table to DtiStudio to do tensor calculation. Then, we can get correct eigen value and eigen vector map images.

2> Another is to use the patient-coordinate-based gradient vector to call DtiStudio to do tensor calculation directly and then apply MT to the generated eigen vector and color map.

I think that both of methods can get the same results. Is my understanding correct?

> That means, you have to rotate them based on oblique angles ("consider rotation" needs to be checked).

For DICOM images, I will try to check ON "consider rotation" in DtiStudio. Thank you for your information.

Thank you for providing the method to verify the results. I will use your proposed method to verify whether it is correct or not.

Sincerely,

Qiqi