[Mristudio-users] Range of RA

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Sep 13 19:42:44 EDT 2010

I have to study a bit about RA, but FA should not be more than 1, although
there is possibility if the fitting didn't work properly. For example,
depending on the degree of anisotropy, noise, registration artifacts
(motion, eddy current), it's possible to get negative diagonal elements,
(physically impossible but mathematically possible) and FA becomes more than
1. In other words, by applying diffusion-weighting, signal increases. In
DtiStudio, if diagonal elements become less than 0, they are replaced by 0,
eliminating most of FA>1.