[Mristudio-users] co-registration question.

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Sun Aug 8 14:29:48 EDT 2010

Hi Jan,

First of all, please make sure the following point;

1) The AIR (or Mutual information) in DtiStudio is for "intra-subject
intra-DTI" image registration. DTI data consists of b0 images and
diffusion-weighted images; typically there are tens of images, which need to
be all co-registered before tensor calculation.

2) After tensor calculation, b0 and all tensor-derived maps (FA, color,
eigenvalues) are all naturally co-registered each other and no further
registration by AIR is not needed.

3) For intra-subject inter-contrast (e.g. T2 and b0/DTI) or inter-subject
registration, you need to use DiffeoMap. This also include intra-subject but
scanned at different time points.

4) In general, cross-contrast registration (e.g. b0 vs T1) is difficult.

Now, going back to your question, I'm not sure if you want intra-subject
(+intra-DTI) or inter-data registration, but I guess the following steps are
what you want;

> Get two b0s from subject A and B and load them into DiffeoMap. The first
image you open (in this case A) will the the template.
> Do image registration by, for example, AIR, save the transformation
matrix.
> Load FA, trace, and other DTI-derived images of B and apply the
transformation matrix.

Hope this will help.

Susumu