[Mristudio-users] Calculating SNR of DTI data

Seongjin choisj70 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 10:23:43 EDT 2010

My opinions to (3) and (4)

(3) In parallel imaging, SNR decreases as acceleration factors increases (R
in Philips system).
But increased acceleration factors improves geometric distortions (i.e.
better shape).
You need to find trade off point with your data. In Philips 3T system, I
observed significant noise in the images using acceleration factor larger
than 3 (R > 3).

(4) When you do DTI using parallel imaging, normal SNR methods will not
work. You need to have signal image and noise only image. Get the mean
signal and noise standard deviation from an ROI then calculate the SNR. You
can get noise-only image in RF-off mode.

-Seongjin