[Mristudio-users] DtiStudio

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed May 26 09:55:52 EDT 2010

Hi Juliette,

We have been working on the gradient information inside DICOM. We start to
understand Siemens but haven't finished Philips yet. This is a rather tricky
issue and we have to be careful.

Meanwhile, if you are using the standard "Low, Medium, High" gradient set,
you can use the table provided from Philips.
The latest DtiStudio has some pre-defined gradient table installed from
which you can choose.

However, this list contains only the tables that are used most frequently.
Strictly speaking, there are 48 tables for Philips (although many of them
are redundant), because there are combination of;

3 tables (6, 15, 32 orientations)
Gradient overplus (on / off)
4 different releases (many releases share the same tables but not all)
location of b0 image (beginning or end)

On top of it, if you use gradient overplus = on (We DO NOT recommend this
option = on), the table becomes sensitive to oblique angles.

To solve all these issues at once, I recommend you to look into
http://godzilla.kennedykrieger.org/~jfarrell/OTHERphilips/GUI.html.
This nice software written by Jonathan Farrell can create a table for all
possible combination.

Susumu