[Mristudio-users] theory - registration

Hangyi Jiang hjiang at jhmi.edu
Tue May 18 09:43:47 EDT 2010

hi,

for Yue's method, clicking "Optional parameters" in pixel rejection option, then a parameter dialog will pup up... clicking OK....
otherwise, the outlier pixel rejection uses default parameters.

it is a good question about difference between "theory - registration" and "normal AIR" (in the "image" tab)
basically,   "normal AIR" will register ALL target images to a single user-selected reference image (usually a B0, or mean B0s).  BEFORE tensor calculation.  on the other hand, "theory - registration" do registration for each DWI INDIVIDUALLY with its theory-one iteratively DURING tensor calculation.  in this procedure, the original images are not being changed.   usually, AIR can do a better job if both the reference and target are in similar modality and intensity. from this point of view, "individual" registration during tensor calculation should be better than "normal AIR" before tensor calculation.  however, this method may result in mis-alignment between different DWIs, since the registration is carried out for every single-pair (original and theory one) images, not for all DWIs.

so it is hard to say which method is better.  as my opinion, if the the mis-alignment between the DWIs is a dominant artifact, then "normal AIR" before tensor calculation is recommended.  otherwise,   "theory - registration" during tensor calculation is a good choice.

regards,

hangyi