[Mristudio-users] DTI method: VBA, MRIstudio vs. TBSS

lion gao gaolion at gmail.com
Fri May 14 13:41:19 EDT 2010

Dear Susumu Mori,

Thanks very much for your answer, it's very informative!
One question is that when you mention granularity and anatomy, it finally
all leads to the advantages of TBSS, the skeleton. so my answer looks a bit
repeated for a same point. Another one is I do need to find some flaw in
TBSS for defence use :P, so I find some limitation from the original paper.
BTW, I am NOT familiar with TBSS.
http://sirl.stanford.edu/~bob/pdf/DTI/Methods/Smith_TBSS_NeuroImage06.pdf

Finally, I arranged some defences based on your comments below. Have a look
if interested , or simply skip it :)

Thanks again & Best Wishes,
Gao

It has been quite a time since VBA was popularly used in DTI data, while
track-based spatial statistical gains popularity rapid in recent years. To
compare the two methods, there two points of views need to the clarified:

1.       Granularity. It represents the extent to which a system is divided
into smaller parts. In VBA, the brain is broken into nearly one million of
voxels, then it is normalized before comparing with one another. In
MRIstudio, it can superimpose the parcellation map and divided the brain
into 150 areas, thus it has less granularity than VBA (1 million vs. 150).
Whereas TBSS re-registers nearby voxels to the skeleton of white matter,
reduces the granularity and increases the accuracy of registration.

2.       Anatomy. In VBA analysis, computer algorithm registers the voxels
automatically, without considering any anatomical information. Another new
method of Tissue-specific, smoothing-compensated (T-SPOON) can improve the
tissue specificity in VBA method and compensation for images smoothing. TBSS
can also apply some anatomical information, i.e., the skeleton of white
matter, thus the registration would be better than totally automatic VBA
method.

TBSS definitely has its advantages in DTI analysis, nonetheless, it is not
without flaw or limitation: 1.Partial volume effect still exists in TBSS
method, and the problem may be greatly exacerbated in spatial smoothing; 2.
Increased head motion can increase image blurring and bias FA value; 3. In
regions of crossing tracts or junctions, TBSS may misinterpret the change of
tracks in junction as apparently reduced FA; 4. Finally, in patients with
apparent pathological changes, TBSS may exclude the areas from analysis.

There are always advantages and disadvantages of each method in DTI studies.
TBSS as new method, may be generally more accurate than VBA method, although
it needs more sophisticated data projection approach in the future. We also
need to keep in mind that DTI is based on information of water diffusion, it
may help to screen and generate hypothesis rather than to draw a final
conclusion.