[Mristudio-users] second and tertiary eigenvalue equal to 0

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 7 17:39:44 EDT 2010

Hi Yi,

I want to hear from Hangyi for detailed response, but there are known issues
in tensor fitting. In the linear tensor fitting, we assume that the tensor
has positive diagonal elements. This means, for example, when gradients are
applied (diffusion-weighted), signal becomes lower than non-weighted images
(b0). However, there are situation when this assumption is violated. At the
edge of the brain, subject motion (non-reproducible) and eddy current
(reproducible) causes pixel mis-registration, meaning, the pixel is
sometimes inside and sometime outside the brain. Then the fitting blows up.
Also, for the very highly anisotropic area such as CC, DWIs with the
gradients applied perpendicular to the fiber (say, we expect only 5% signal
loss) could have higher intensity than b0 due to SNR (say more than 5%
signal fluctuation). In this case, the fitting blows up again.

In these situations, it is not uncommon to get negative diagonal elements or
FA higher than 1.0. To prevent this, there are several proposed methods. I
believe DtiStudio simply replace the negative diagonal elements with 0.

The issues of the CC should be reduced if you have higher SNR (or more
DWIs). What is the resolution and the number of DWIs you are using?
For the brain edge, please check the fitting error map based on the
DtiStudio Updage file I recently distributed.

Susumu