[Mristudio-users] Fibertracking dorsal cingulum bundle

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Jan 26 11:07:11 EST 2010

Farid,

There are several points I want to make, although at this point, I'm not
100% sure what went wrong;

> First of all, your tracking results do look odd.
> Second, I'm concerned about the non-conventional orientation of your
image. The upper right must be axial and the lower right has to be the
coronal. Also, your sagittal is 90 degree rotated.  In DtiStudio, the X axis
(horizontal) of the upper right and the lower right images are the
anatomical right-left, which is assigned red. This part is correct. Then the
Y (vertical) of the upper right image and the X axis (horizontal) of the
lower left image is the anatomical anterior-posterior, which is assigned
green. In your image, these axes have blue color and anatomical
superior-inferior. In other words, the definition of the green and blue
(anterior-posterior and superior-inferior) are switched. I'm not sure how it
happened. If you used our software for image normalization, the consistency
of the orientation definition (which is always the Radiology convention) is
guaranteed, but if you used another software at some point, it's hard for us
to track down the problem.
>There is always the issue of +/- definition of gradient tables. Please
refer description at "
https://www.mristudio.org/wiki/user_manual/DTI_Studio_User_Manual/fiber_tracking"
that explains the issue. Before you apply any image transformation, you have
to make sure that this +/- issue is correctly addressed. Practically, you
need to confirm that you can get correct fiber tracking BEFORE you do any
transformation (normalization) of a data; you want to make sure tracking is
right in the native space.
> Another issue is that you need to transform (normalize) the tensor to
create a good population-averaged DTI data. The tensor transformation
requires special algorithm for tensor reorientation.

MriStudio offers DiffeoMap (formerly known as Landmarker) that provides the
state-of-the-art tensor normalization tools (
https://www.mristudio.org/wiki/user_manual/landmarker). In this way, you
don't have to worry much of the issues described above.