[Mristudio-users] DTI analysis question

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Jan 19 20:15:14 EST 2010

The order is correct except for the step #3, which is not necessary.
I wonder how you did to average the scan because DtiStudio doesn't offer a
function to average scans, I thought.

For the tensor fitting with multiple-repetition data, you don't need average
the data before the tensor calculation. This is very similar to a simple XY
plot linear fitting. Suppose you have 8 measurement points to perform Y=aX+b
fitting. If the 8 points are spread along the X axis (say, at X = 1, 3, 5,
7, 9, 11, 13,15), you just perform the fitting. What if the 8 points are at
X = 1, 5, 9, 13? This means, at each X value, there are two measurement
points. Do you calculate an average value for each X value before the
fitting? I think in most case you do the same 8-point fitting in this case
too.

Likewise, if you have, for example 3 sets of 30-orientation measurements,
you don't have to reduce the data to a single 30-orientation before tensor
calculation. You can just submit 90-point linear fitting.

Hope this is clear.

Also for the step #2, Yes, AIR is for co-registration and if you choose
Affine, it also does Eddy current correction.