[Mristudio-users] Is better to do 3 DTI series or just one well done?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 11 21:14:01 EST 2009

Do you mean you are doing 33-orientation x 3 signal averaging for 5 mm
slice? That is equivalent to 99 DWIs. With such as thick slice and the 99
DWI equivalent, you should have enough SNR even with 1.5T.

3 NEX and 3 series are equivalent in terms of SNR. The only difference is
whether the scanner average the data for you or you get them saved
separately. Usually, if you do 3 separate series, MR scanner can not combine
them and does not offer an FA map based on the all 3 series. So, for
clinical scans, you have no choice but using 3 NEX.

If you are using Siemens, 3NEX and 3 series are completely identical because
they actually save the 3 NEX scans separately and use all of them for tensor
calculation. For example, if you do 3NEX of 33-orientaiton, you can find 99
Mosaic files. They don't actually average 3 scans. So it's the same as 3
series.

I'm not sure how GE works. I believe if you do 3NEX of 33-orientaiton, you
may get only 33 images, in which the 3 scans are already averaged. The
disadvantage of this approach is, if the subject moved or one of the images
are corrupted, you can not correct them once 3 images are averaged. These
issues can be corrected to some degree if you are using off-line programs
like DtiStudio or FSL. However, if you rely on FA map generation by the
scanner, I guess you'd better use 3NEX.