[Mristudio-users] Noise level setting for AIR in DTI Studio

Patrick Rizzuto prizzut2 at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 14 10:44:43 EDT 2009

My colleague and I are also experiencing a problem that I suspect may be related to this.  While preparing a B0 file for distortion correction LDDMM, I attempt to normalize the intensities of the B0 file as well as a related T2 file.  In another step, I also strip the skull from the T2 image.

I have found, however, that while intensity normalization appears to work normally BEFORE stripping the T2-skull, attempting to do so AFTER skull-stripping results in a halo appearing on the updated image, radiating out a little ways from the brain.  My colleague and I also experienced this last week, while attempting to prepare a separate set of images for nonlinear LDDMM.

The reason why I ask this as a reply to this particular thread, however, is because I am now concerned that this halo-generation may be in part due to the noise threshold I set previously being too low - the value I have been working with is 20.  While the problem appears to be solved simply by reordering the relevant steps, I want to make sure this is not symptomatic of a noise threshold problem.  Are the two at all related?

Thank you,
Pat Rizzuto - JHU Center for Imaging Science