[Mristudio-users] How to Process Siemens Mosaic files in DTIStudio?

susumu mori susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Wed Jul 22 22:01:24 EDT 2009

Hi Helen,

1) You have 42 mosaic files. This means, you did (1 b0 + 6 DWI) x 6
repetitions, I think.
2) In recent Siemens system, if you do signal averaging, the scanners save
the repeated measurements separately instead of averaging them. This enables
you to do image co-registration to minimize motion-related problems. Please
note that if the scanners average multiple acquisitions, you can not do
co-registration anymore.
3) There are two ways to load the 42 images; a) load all of them as one
sequential data, b) load the data as 6 independent (1 b0 + 6 DWI) data.
4) You loaded the data as #a method. In this case, you have to modify your
b-table. For example, if your b-table is;

0: 0, 0, 0
1: 1, 1, 0
2: 1, 0, 1
3: 0, 1, 1
4: -1, 1, 0
5: -1,0, 1
6: 0, -1,1

you have to repeat this 6 times like;

0: 0, 0, 0
1: 1, 1, 0
2: 1, 0, 1
3: 0, 1, 1
4: -1, 1, 0
5: -1,0, 1
6: 0, -1,1
7: 0, 0, 0
8: 1, 1, 0
9: 1, 0, 1
10: 0, 1, 1
11: -1, 1, 0
12: -1,0, 1
13: 0, -1,1
.
.
 and so on.

5) Method #a should work fine, but Method #b has several advantages. For
example, you can calculate standard deviations and subtraction images for
the 6 repeated measurements. These repeated measurements should look
identical. You can easily see if the subject moves and if co-registration
works fine. Corrupted images can be detected much easiler too. There are two
ways to convert the 42 sequential data to 6 repeated parallel data;
5-1) Separate the 42 IMA files into 6 different directories (1 b0 + 6 DWIs
in each directory) and list the 6 directories in the DtiStudio data input
window. This can be most easily done if you can specify the scanner to save
the data in this way (I thought it's possible). Otherwise, you may find it
difficult to figure out how to divide the 42 files into the 6 repeated data.
5-2) Once you read the 42 IMA data, you can save them as 6 raw files; each
raw file contains 7 images. You can do it by using the "save" icon in the
right column. Close the window and load the raw data as the "REC" format.
Load the all 6 raw files at once. One problem is, during the conversion of
Mosaic -> Raw, you loose information about oblique imaging (see #6), which
means you should not use this method if you used oblique angles.

In both cases, the b-table will be;

0: 0, 0, 0
1: 1, 1, 0
2: 1, 0, 1
3: 0, 1, 1
4: -1, 1, 0
5: -1,0, 1
6: 0, -1,1

6) As I mentioned multiple times in the previous communications, Siemens
users have to be very careful when oblique imaging is used. Unless you are
using the latest VB15 operating system, the gradient table has to be
recalculated based on the oblique angles. This can be done by checking the
box ("rotate if applicable") beneath the b-table window. DtiStudio
automatically reads the angle information from Dicom/Mosaic headers and
rotate the b-table. If you are using VB15, this is already taken care of at
the time of data acquisition and therefore you don't check this box. If you
convert the Dicom/Mosaic to a raw data format (REC format), the oblique
information is lost and you can not use this function. Therefore the
approach #5-2 can not be used unless you are not using oblique imaging.

Susumu