[Mristudio-users] Mean_ADC units

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Fri Mar 6 15:16:32 EST 2009

OK, here is the procedure;

1) Please prepare one FA map and one b0 (or meanDWI)

2) Load the FA map to RoiEditor using the left upper "open" icon

3) Load the b0 (or meanDWI) using the "open" icon in the right column,
"Image" section.

4) Make sure that you have FA and b0 both loaded into one window using the
pull-down menu in the "image" section

------ Skull-stripping Using b0 (or meanDWI) --------

5) Choose the b0 image as the active image.

6) Choose the "Seeded Region Growing" tool in the "Tool" section

7) Choose "absolute" and "3D" radio buttons.

8) Change the minimum value (for example "10") and click apply. Click an
arbitrary pixel within the brain. See how the brain is defined by red color

9) Keep changing the minimum value until you are satisfied with the way the
brain is defined by the red color.

10) Once you are satisfied, look at the "ROI Object" section and make sure
that "Object 1" is there. If not, right click the mouse buttons within the
square space below "ROI Objects" and define a new object

11) Click the "add" button in the "Selection" section. The red selected area
disappeared and defined by the "Object 1" color now.

12) Click the "+-/x" button in the "ROI" section. Choose the FA map in the
left and Object 1 in the right. In the middle box, choose "masking" and
click "OK". You should get a skull-stripped FA map.

------ Define the white matter ---------

13) Right click on the "Object 1" in the "ROI Objects" section and choose
"delete object".

14) Right click the empty square below the "ROI Objects" and choose "new
object". You redefined Object 1.

15) Choose the skull-stripped FA as the active image.

16) Choose "Seeded Region Growing". Choose "Absolute" and "3D" radio
buttons. Input 0.2 for the minimum and 1.0 for the maximum. Click on an
arbitrary pixel within the bright white matter area.

17) Click "Add" button. The red area turns into Object 1. If you find junk
pixels outside the white matter and want to manually touch up the result,
choose the "pencil" in the "Selection" section, write on the junk pixels
(red color appears), and click "Subtract" button.

18) Click the "save" icon in the "ROI" section. You can save the Object 1
that defines the white matter as Analyze or Binary.

Let me know if you are stuck or this doesn't work.

  _____