[Mristudio-users] Landmarker - Reorientation questions

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 5 14:17:31 EST 2009

Hi Paul,

The landmark-based registration simply follows your landmarks. So, if you
want to modify the outcome, you need to modify (or add more) landmarks.

You can also test automated volume registration by AIR.

Either way, you can save the transformation matrix and apply it to fiber
tracking results.

There is one important limitation in our current software when you normalize
the tracking results.

For the normalization, you have to convert the streamline information
(DtiStudio-specific fiber data format) into pixel-by-pixel image format.

For example, suppose your tracking generated 10 fibers with average 50-pixel
long. Then your native streamline information contains [x,y,z] information
for the 10 streamlines saved sequentially.

This streamline information is not easy to transform. I believe Luke in my
lab has an IDL code to do this, but our MriStudio family can not do it.
Please contact khua at jhu.edu if you want the IDL code.

You can convert this streamline information to 1/0 pixel-by-pixel image
format. For example, if your data is 256x256x50, the pixels that contain the
tracking result are 1 and do not contain are 0. You can save and load this
info as an image file. Then you can transform (normalize) this file as if
one of your MRI contrasts. The problem of this approach is, you can not
retrieve streamline info once it was converted to the 1/0 binary image.

You should think why you need to retain the streamline information after
brain registration (normalization). For example, you can create all
necessary information in a native space such as connectivity maps and
transform the resultant map.

Susumu

  _____