[Mristudio-users] bug in DTIstudio 3.0 (beta) tensor calculation?

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Dec 29 16:18:20 EST 2008

Hi Yi,

The outlier-rejection requires diffusion-weighted images more than 6. I
think the behavior of the Version 3 is related to this.

Let me use an analogy of a simple linear fitting. When there are only two
data points and you need to find a best-matching line, you have only one
answer, which is connecting the two points. In this case, you are SOLVING
the equation. If you have more than 2 points, you do FITTING, not SOLVING.
When you do the fitting, you can use the outlier detection and rejection.
For example, if you have 10 points and one of them is completely off, you
can set some criteria for rejection and remove such a bad data point. If you
have only two points and one of them is corrupted, you can't do anything.
You just have to use the data as is.

For DTI, the 6-orientation is the required number of images and you SOLVE
the tensor equation if you have only 6 DWIs. When you have, say, 12
orientations, you can use the outlier detection and can reject up to
(theoretically) 6 images.

In addition, we are going to release a better version of the outlier
rejection soon. So, at this point, I would suggest you not to use the
outlier rejection for your data.

Susumu