[Mristudio-users] Results using analyze format in DTIStudio

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Mon Jul 7 21:24:21 EDT 2008

Hi Graeme,

I believe FA, ADC, and color maps are insensitive to right-left, front-back,
and up-down flip. It becomes in issue when you do fiber tracking.

DtiStudio support the Analyze format to save 3D images after tensor
calculation. If you save data as Analyze and read as Analyze, the
orientation should be correct, but if it is saved as Analyze and read as
Raw, you'd find that the axial image is upside-down, due to Neurology -
Radiology conventions.

In DtiStudio, we do not support tensor calculation of DWIs in the Analyze
format. Also, it is difficult to confirm what would happen if DtiStudio
processes data partially processed by other software programs because it is
difficult for us to test many combinations of data processing by multiple
programs. I would suggest to stick to single software for DWI - tensor
calculation.

It is indeed interesting that you saw 0.2 FA difference by going through the
Analyze format, but again, it difficult for us to follow the results that
were not processed by DtiStudio for the entire processing. If you experience
0.2 difference with and without AIR in DtiStudio, we would definitely look
into the issue. If you mean difference is between;

1)       raw DWI -> DtiStudio -> AIR in DtiStudio -> FA

2)       raw DWI -> FSL (eddy correction) -> Analyze -> DtiStudio -> FA

We first need to know

1)       how did you read Analyze into DtiStudio?

2)       Have you compared raw DWIs and Analyze (after FSL eddy correction)
DWIs?

  _____