[Mristudio-users] Axial / radial

susumu susumu at mri.jhu.edu
Tue Apr 29 11:28:33 EDT 2008

Hi Igor,

Axial diffusivity is the same as Eigenvalue0 in DtiStudio.

Radial diffusivity is (Eigenvalue1 + Eigenvalue2)/2. DtiStudio doesn't
provide this number. I think we should add this for the next version.

You can create (Eigenvalue1 + Eigenvalue2) image using the calculation
function of RoiEditor, once you saved Eigenvalues.

The advantage of using the axial / radial diffusivity is this;

When you observe "lower FA", there are two possible mechanisms;

1) It's low because the longest axis (Eigenvalue0 or axial diffusivity)
decreased

2) It's low because the second and third (Eigenvalue1 and Eigenvalue2 or
radial diffusivity) increased.

These two possible mechanisms can't be differentiated by FA (information
degeneration), which may carry important biological information. In many
cases, #1 and #2 occur simultaneously, though.

You may want to read the SK (Victor) Song's series of papers on this
subject. I'm not aware of review papers about it.

Susumu

  _____